The campsite is in an excellent location for all that Lochaber has to offer, after all Lochaber is known as the outdoor capital of the UK. Enjoy cycling, hill walking, fishing, kayaking, boat trips, wildlife observation or perhaps just relax in this unspoiled beautiful yet wild landscape.
Here are a few of the things we recommend and please don’t hesitate to ask for information on these or any other activities you are thinking of.
- Cycle hire is available on site providing mountain bikes & E-Bikes at a discounted rate. More information can be found on our Sunart Cycling website. There are some great trails and quiet road routes straight from the campsite.
- There a plenty of dog walks and hiking trails nearby, with Corbetts & Grahams there is no shortage of challenges. In fact from the campsite it is perfectly possible to attempt the three highest peaks in the vicinity, Sghur Dhomnuil (888m), Gharb Beinn (823m) and Resipole (845m). There are of course many shorter routes such as the Fairies walk, Phemies walk or through the community woodland up to the viewpoint at Tom an t-Sìthein.
- Sea fishing in Loch Sunart is readily available as well as freshwater fishing in Loch Doilet and some of the rivers in and around Strontian. There is a lot of information on fishing in the Sunart Community website angling page.
- How about trying a bit of wild swimming, a popular pastime; you can swim in the Loch from the jetty or from the shallow Ardnastang beach just a mile away. In Strontian there is a local guide who can introduce you to wild swimming, speak to us for details.
- Boat trips are available on the peninsula as well as canoe or kayak trips which can be organised locally in Strontian.
- Wildlife watching. Under 6 miles away is the Garbh Eilean wildlife hide it has a beautiful walk and an amazing view of the wildlife on loch Sunart. All you need is a bit of patience and some binoculars!
- Visit the Ardnamurchan point and lighthouse the most westerly point of the UK mainland. You can take a tour of the lighthouse and nearby are the famous white sands of Sanna beaches.